Transition: Advocacy Tips
From: Disability Rights Michigan (DRM)
Transition services are available for students eligible for special education and 503 services. They are meant to create a smooth pathway for a young person to move from high school to a successful adult life. Here is a list of tips from the Disability Rights Michigan advocates:
- Be involved in every step of the Transition process.
- Keep everything in writing. Follow up on conversations with written confirmation.
- Keep a Transition folder with all important documents
- Ask for copies.
- Always work towards a solution and address any problems that come up.
- Attend information sessions on Transition services hosted by your school, community or outside agencies.
If you have any questions or concerns about your student’s access to Transition services, contact DRM at 517-487-0827 or visit their website at: https://www.drmich.org